Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The Name of This City is Thomson



A disturbing image to say the least.  I don't know how it was made, but Google had something to do with it.  I do know that I took the selfies (it takes a big man to admit these days that he took a selfie) and that the "image" is a GIF, or Graphics Interchange Format, which is a format that supports animation.  I like that I'm moving up (or is it down) the neck and that I smile in the beginning of the phrase.  I don't like that I look old.

This performance was for a wedding reception in Thomson, GA.  The city used to have the name Slashes and was a depot on the Georgia Railroad.  It took its current name in 1853 from John Edgar Thomson, a railroad official.  From Atlanta, it is virtually a straight shot east bound and down on I-20.  Virtually.  Just don't call it Thompson.  Wikipedia works wonders in situations like these.





We met early at the space, aka Sweetwater Junction World Headquarters, and rode together in style.  We encountered some brutal traffic snarls and found ourselves pressed for time.  How pressed?  Micky D's for a late lunch.  When we rolled up, we found the stage was set outside of a house.  No lights and no cover.  Not the first time I've encountered this as of late.  What was interesting was that the dance floor was raised, almost as high as the stage, again with no lights.  It was high enough that folks could really injure themselves if they fell off the dance floor.  That never happened, but we all thought it might.  The ground around the stage and behind was swampy and mucky.  Good stuff.





We were all stressed a bit with the dances, mainly the first dance of You've Got A Friend by James Taylor.  A quick run-through settled our qualms.  Nobody could explain why we moved it up a whole step to B.  That's ok.  I'll play it in any key.  Except B, apparently.






My EUB got messed up with the strap assembly.  It got stripped.  Still haven't figured out the problem.  My 6-string also messed up.  I changed out the 2 9-volt batteries.  In the low light, I thought I had seen one of the wires disconnected.  Of course, it didn't make a sound.  Turns out that one of the batteries I installed was a no-name brand that was dead.  No sound if the one battery is dead.  Double trouble for the bass man.  I had a Fender as well, so I was able to continue after the brief mishap.  Eventually, every piece of gear messes up...

This section is creepy.  I sure got carried away.  I should have been carried away!







Now that we got that out of the way, these pictures tell the rest of the story...






1 comment:

  1. Au contraire, mon ferer -- you look absolutely fabulous.

    Like any fine wine, a '79 Château Feedback really sings when it's had a chance to breathe.

    ReplyDelete