Tuesday, October 14, 2014

It Was the 6th of September: Platinum Shines at Ponte Vedra Beach



The view from the dining room in the private club was of the beach.  Isn't that one of the most frustrating aspects of the travelling musician?  We travel so far and we get so close and it sounds so glamorous and pampered... it's not like we're at the beach.  We just happen to be playing in a room and there is sand 100 feet from my pedalboard.  That doesn't change a whole lot from what we normally do.  It really just means we sat in a car a bit longer than usual.  Well, I stuck around after soundcheck, got my toes in the sand a bit and even had a dip in the pool next to the country club.  I was so tired that I closed my eyes under water and drifted into the wall of the pool.  Oh, really?  Who put the side of the pool in my way?  I had a pronounceable scrape on my forehead that fortunately wasn't gushing blood.  I covered it and it was good enough that nobody ever said a word.  I felt too humiliated to bring it up and I was glad it was forgotten.



Anton and I had a nice ride.  It was his birthday.  Also my mom's birthday; she would have been 93 and has been gone for 12 1/2 years now.  I sure miss her.  We made the best of it with McGriddles, coffee, and a shot of tequila - not in that order.  I effectively made us take a roundabout way to the club once we were in the city.  My GPS on my phone suffers from operator error or something.  An Achilles heel, to say the least.  Load in wasn't bad, with the carts that the club provided.  The room we were in was tiny and loud, a great combination.  We went over When You Say Nothing At All and the big Sinatra  request, My Way.  Dianne really nailed it and it worked very well near the end of the night.  Cool changes, with a few minor ii/V's that make it dark and kinda hip.  I dug playing it, after hearing it for so many years and thinking it was weird.




We didn't get out in time to make it to a club that was still serving food.  The dinner was small and a bit wrong.  Anton and I tried, but we ended up hanging in the room, ordering pizza, and watching a rather lame SNL.  Too bad, 'cause I wanted to defend it as a reliable comedy show.  It missed it this night.  We hung in there anyways, and the late night pizza with everything on it was the perfect ticket to a day that started quite a while ago.


The next day was very wet, with rain all of the way back.  We feasted on Panda Express for brunch and hit the low road through the area that used to be Anton's stomping grounds.  The hours moved along and I appreciate that he drove.  Good gig and a good trip with Mr. Harris!

No comments:

Post a Comment