Sunday, October 26, 2014

Epic Jams in Roankoke VA


The jams actually took place in Elliston, Virginia.  Elliston is situated between Roanoke and Blacksburg, off of Hwy 81 via 460/11 for those of you in the know.  It's funny how I never had a car in all of my years going to Virginia Tech, so I never developed a great sense of the lay of the land.  Of course, I didn't have Google Maps or a GPS at my disposal either.  So Elliston boasts a marvelous party venue with it's Firefly Hill Vineyards.

Before I embarked on my extended journey northbound, I had a gig with Martay, or is it Crazy Marty?  It was Crazy Marty and we played at Emeritus at Big Creek, a retirement home in Roswell.  The gig was quick and painless.  On drums was Mr. Gwen Hughes, aka a legend in his own right, Mike Hinton.  He performed supremely well.  No easy feat, as far as Crazy Marty's cues are concerned!  Ha ha, just checking to see if you're reading this, Martay!  We rocked the crowd and the staff in the back courtyard area.  Even Brick House.  No food or drinks served, fwiw.

A selfie with Reece Harris, my bestie and favorite fusion drummer who was a part of my greatest original project from back in the day.  I wish this beautiful man a lifetime of blessed matrimony
After I left, I swung by Farm Burger off 285 and then scampered dwon to where Reece Harris was holding court at his Wedding reception.  Steve Mays and Doug Morton were jamming with the MC and it was a who's who of musician types.  Saw Greg Hester, Jason Matthias, Charles Mishalany, Sheila & Felix, and a host of others.  Before I knew it, my beer was drained and I had to am-scray down the 14th street to meet up with the boys of Sweetwater Junction.  We hit the road to make a gig in Roanoke (yes, it was actually Elliston, a suburb of Roanoke, if you will), Virginia gig without driving the distance the day of the hit.  Made sense to me.  As things transgressed, Brian went with his girl and the other four, including me, followed in the rented van with trailer.  The night was spent in a modest motel in Spartanburg, SC, naturally followed by a deluxe breakfast at Waffle House.  The ride was decent and the weather was nice.  The venue was a tent on the rear of the property, which was a vineyard.  The skies were blue and warm, but not muggy.  We played some good music, including some Phish tunes.  I'd give us a 10.



Ceremony walk-on music

The drummer relaxes for a change in the green room

Brian enjoys a private moment before we change into suits



Chris dials up a set of lyrics


Our ace photographer checks his proofs



Chris Garner delivers the goods




These 2 pics from Daniel's camera make me question the quality of my camera work.  Dude captured some mice colors and vivid detail, including a rare Ashbory groove moment.  Thank you Daniel!  I learn more from you than I let on.



No comments:

Post a Comment