Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Septet + 1 at the Four Seasons


Like I always say, it's a real party when one of the attendees takes it upon herself to join the band on stage  - for multiple songs!   I don't even know who she was or what she was doing.  She was doing some yoga at one point.  Gus overheard her dissing us after the first set, complaining that we were lame.  It was the dinner set; we have to be somewhat lame.  Inoffensive wallpaper music.  Quiet.  Really, we were playing stuff we always play during the dinner set, and the songs aren't bad: Georgia On My Mind; Don't Know Why; Make You Feel My Love; Fly Me To The Moon; You Are the Sunshine of My Life.  I suppose that enough of that can get to somebody.  I'd like to see us try some more modern stuff in a stripped-down manner, even if it was Beatles or Eagles or whatever.  Modern standards.  So she dissed us and then joined us onstage to get her party on.

We had Norman Frank on saxophone.  I like that he brings out his baritone sax.  Wish he played some of his other instruments.  I played my electric upright and also some Stick.  I'll be getting used to that new tuning for a long time, but it is really nice to have a low B or even B flat if needed.  How about a low A?  I've always wanted that...

It was a challenging night to be a sub.  This was the first time we were introducing a more individual clothing look.  I went and bought a new jacket and vest at Macy's.  Also got some non-pleated pants and a shirt or two at Goodwill.  Working on new footwear.  I'm a work in progress, you could say.





The next morning I enjoyed a morning of subbing at Lutheran Church of the Resurrection.  It has a great sense of community and love.  I have even attended when I don't perform there.  I walk out feeling a lot better.  It's interesting when the sermon can mirror what is happening in my life.  The band and the choir are all accomplished, yet there is no sense of ego.  Check them out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment