Wednesday, October 29, 2014

For Your Dining and Dancing Pleasure: Presenting the Billy Batts Ensemble


I've been getting into playing the upright more here at the club lately.  I'm so guilty of not appreciating what I have until I don't have it anymore.  That was the case when this beloved bass broke in two, possibly never to be played again.  I have nursed it back into a functional and playable item and I love the ol' girl more than I ever had.  She sounds decent and I enjoy trying to get a full tone.  The thumb position is what it is.  I try to get up there but need to work on it much more.  The guys seem to welcome it so I better keep on advancing and not give them a reason to to change their minds.  I always bring a backup  just in case, from now on.

We had a rather forward female club member ask us to play something upbeat.  I think we settled on Pride and Joy.  She danced and had the best time I've seen somebody have in along while, certainly at this establishment.  Bless her heart, she really invigorated us on what may have been a lame evening.  I think it even gave us cause to go for some Radiohead, even if it was only Karma Police (I hear you saying "ONLY Karma Police?")  Every upright player should know Karma Police!  I will review that little pop gem before next time; the coda threw us all for a loop.

I believe it was Pride weekend, so traffic on the way there was not fun in the least.

Here are a couple of stills from the motion gif above, included as I was able to tweak them without that pesky contrast-hating table lamp in the background.  I like the one where Walt has to contend with the other lady.  He was in the hot seat for a hot minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment