Saturday, April 21, 2012

Partay Rock Is In The House Tonight


Make that Ernie's house: Padriac's.  Of course you know by now, Padriac's is that swanky little restaurant cum nightclub serving up zesty foods and stiff drinks near the heart of Vinings, Georgia.  Ernie is the manager, and he's there every time we have our little 3-piece rock 'n dance combo tucked away against the windows by the front door.  Not much to report on.  I played fretless on the first set.  Hey, that's a great way to freshen up even the most stale of set lists.  Intonation was not bad, considering I felt under the microscope a bit.  I never want someone to say that I shouldn't be playing fretless because I'm out of tune.  I was surprised at the amount of top end I could sense in my playing.  Well, granted I crank all 3 onboard eq's on the bass, but I do string it with (at this point) 3 year old flatwound strings.  Gotta love flats for that reason - they don't lose the brightness that roundwounds do.  You can't lose what you don't have in the first place!  Really, flats have a great tone for bass.  I want to put them on another, maybe even my Precision.  Actually, I want those black tapewound strings for the P-bass.  I hear that those can be even more dead sounding...

Martay with the shirt he bought at the concert the night before.

No comments:

Post a Comment