Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Jam Session at Java Monkey with The Brett Warren Band


Tuesday was a big day.  It's spring break for Cobb County, so Jack is home this week.  Sabina took days off to be home and we pulled Spencer out of his schooling to head over to Stone Mountain.  Sabina generously picked up year-long passes for us.  We will make it back many times this year.  Hiking up the mountain is approximately 3 miles one way, but Spencer is already eager to try!  What a boy!  They had big fun in the newly opened Geyser Towers, a waterpark/playground/rope tunnel for the youngsters.  This made me very tired, and i ended up amking dinner, eating, and then cleaning the dishes before heading down to Java Monkey for The Brett Warren Band's inaugural "blues 'n jazz jam session" (I don't really know what it was officially billed as).  There were some big players here, including Brett Warren & Lefty Williams on guitar, Kevin Scott on bass, Adrian Ash & Jared Lanham on drums, Spencer Pope on keyboards, Marquinn Mason, who was very complimentary to me,  and another fine player whose name I didn't get on saxophones...  They were killing it.

I met Kevin shortly before he had to leave for The Five Spot, where he hosts another jam session.  He was quite humble and gave me his card, so I looked him up.  Great player.  I played Adrian's Carvin 6-string for the 2nd set, as did Kevin.  It was a nice set up.  I would consider lowering the action, but that's certainly personal preference.  A 6-string lends itself to chordal work, which is tough with higher action.  That's always been my thinking, being an Oteil convert from back in the ARU glory days.  Joining me on the bandstand - wait, a second, I joined them - was Lefty, Brett, Spencer Pope on keys (he had a Nord!), & Danny Paschall on drums, another great drummer!  Lefty had one of those cool new pedal-sized amps powering a 12" cabinet.  It sounded really good!  Wacky technology with tube tone!  He shined on every lick he pulled out - really good.  His band is playing at the 5 Spot with Michelle Malone opening for them!  Anyways, I'm glad I made it to the jam.  I never like to get up for those kinds of things, so it's good to finally get the gumption to join in.

Thanks to Adrian for letting me get up and play his rig, a sweet SWR Workingman's 12 combo and the Carvin neck through 6.  Beautiful and bodacious!  Also, Adrian snapped a plethora of happening pics and posted to his facebook here, from which I borrowed for this page.  All photos taken by Adrian Ash.

1st set with Lefty Williams
Kevin Scott
Lefty
Brett Warren & Jared Lanham

Marquinn Mason, Lefty Williams, Brett Warren, Jared Lanham,
Kevin Scott, & Spencer Pope

So tight they need to be shown twice!

2nd set after Kevin took off.

Danny Paschall & myself, workin' the double chin to great effect!


Some nifty action shots - I like how you can see the frets but not the neck...

Going for it!


No comments:

Post a Comment