Sunday, April 29, 2012

Carrolton's Tent Party for Tanner Medical with Platinum: 2012 Edition

Platinum enjoyed our return to the outer stretches of Carrolton, Georgia for another session inside this expansive tent.  Wear a tux in a tent is intuitively not my idea of a good time.  This tent has to be seen to be believed.  The air conditioning was good and strong, but a wool tux is still a wool tux, and the humidity decided to show up for the day.  I don't mind, really.  I tell myself that the humidity and sweat is good for the skin and helps to keep me from aging quite as fast.  Plus, my lips don't get so chapped.  What is very true, though, is that it does a number on my bass strings.  Wiping them only goes so far.  I think they are rusting as I'm playing.  Not so good.  For me, boiling strings is still a way of life.  I'm not o.c. about it, but I will typically boil a set once before shelling out another $20 or so on a fresh set.  What usually happens is, I will buy strings and then just keep them as a backup until the old set is really showing signs of corrosion.  Ah, there you have it.  My dark secrets just beginning to unfurl.

Good versions of Get Here (I had been working from a Pino Palladino transcription, using my fretless - missed many of the better licks but it is fun to emulate his flights of fancy and I think it made us sound better.  I think Lexxi subconsciously liked hearing me) and Take Me Home Tonight (just as strong as last week).  Not so strong on the medley (?) of Moonglow & Love Theme from "Picnic".  Glen started singing You Send Me (which we did play later) and did an admirable job of steering us into the correct celebratory dance number.  A rare case of him being human and making a mistake.  He really never does.

I brought the upright for the 1st set.  Sounded muffled, boomy, and feedback prone.  Next time I need to run it through the Fishman Pro EQ - that's what I bought it for (I was using the Fishman for the acoustic guitar, which didn't even get played).  That sort of helps explain my not so convincing stare into the camera lens.
A rare shot of Gus' right side!
Anton rapped on Flo Rida's Good Feeling!  It sounded convincing to my white ears.  I'm just trying to keep the groove going and then make sure I stop for the breakdowns.  I played the Ashbory on it last week and I kind of miss the novelty for that tune.
Glen is engaged the entire night with something that I am usually interested in  listening in on.  However, I have no idea what he and Gus were conversing about.  Earlier during our fine tent dinner of grilled chicken with sauteed tomatoes, spanish rice, broccoli, salad, rolls, and mad dessert trays with ice cream on the side, they were talking mini-vans.  I wish I had one now (a Honda Odyssey does get good reviews) - funny how younger people make fun of mini-vans and how they are for old people.  I guess it's still true but the difference is, now I'm old!  Anyways, this is the shot I took of Glen when I remembered to take one.
Award presenter standing in the middle of the dance floor, just in clear shot of the mains (the P.A. system speakers).   Feedback was eager to rear it's ugly head.
Derek waiting for the cue.
Gus getting his rudiments in before we hit.
Gyro running sound - plenty of challenges with mics out in front of the mains!

No comments:

Post a Comment