Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Good Friday With The Jump'n Jukes at Spiced Right



Hey, the title says it all.  It is "spring break" here in Cobb County, meaning this place gets a bit thinner.  That further implies that folks aren't going out for delicious barbecue and such at the local rib joint, in this case, Spiced Right.  Well, we were out to prove that theory incorrect.  I had noticed that traffic had gotten thickerer as the week progressed. Even the wealthy can't afford to stay away for the whole week, or they chose to return just to kick back a bit before school got back into session.

This time I listened to my copy of The Jump'n Jukes' CD Bottoms Up Boogie to get a better idea of what to be ready for on my 2nd sojourn with the combo.  It never hurts to make charts!  I made 1 chart with the skeleton changes for each of the 13 cuts.  We played many of the ones from last time out, plus a handful of the originals: Jump Little Baby, Finger Lickin', Doin' the Best I Can, So Cute, Read About My Baby.  It worked out well.  I did better this time on Freddie King's Hideaway - I was ready for the rockin' riff!

The band, as before, included Steve Sams on vocals & blues harp, Juha Saily on a beautiful Gretsch hollow bodied guitar as well as one open-tuned for slide, Pete Bennie on drums (and percussion!), "Stuff" Jones on electric violin, and myself on the doghouse.  Got a blister on the right hand index finger this time, as I was going for the slap concept a bit more than I should have.  Juha plays upright as well, and enlightened me on the concept of gut strings.  I've thought about those before, so maybe I shall procure a set next time out, just to try something different.  Less volume but easier on the hands - perhaps the pickup would make the volume issue moot (mute?).  Also joining us for the 2nd set, as he did last time here, was Dave Cunningham on tenor sax.  He fits like a deluxe 6-fingered glove!  Ah, just kidding - he sounds good, with a bluesy edge, kind of like Bobby Keys in the Stones.  A welcome addition to the unit.  The theme, as played throughout the night by the cunning violinist, was Pop Goes the Weasel.  It's certainly a great major pentatonic exercise.  How many times can it crop up in a set?  As many times as you like, I suppose...

The front line, as one could surmise, was in fact myself, Stuff Jones,
Steve Sams, and J. Salia.
Pete Bennie laying it down and enjoying the ride!
Got my bowling shirt on for a "blue brothers" effect.
Shades make the look complete.







A different angle on playing low on the neck.


Dave "D.C." Cunningham throwin' down!


.
You know, I couldn't resist sticking this one in one more time!
Those boys sure have a way with marketing!

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous photos! Would love to have caught this show!

    ReplyDelete