Saturday, April 28, 2012

Can't Make a Sweetwater Junction Show But I'm Here For Billy Batts

Our exclusive hang is and has been the Capital City Club, now located at 7 John Portman Boulevard (it was formerly at 7 Harris Street) in downtown Atlanta.  We were back once again for another turn at our brand of light lounge jazz, classic soft rock, and blues.  We did a substantial mix of Real Book standards: Black Orpheus (ie Manhã de Carnaval. which translates to Morning of Carnival, written by Luiz Bonfá and Antônio Maria and covered by everybody: Stan Getz, John McLaughlin with his sparring partners Al Di Meola and Paco de Lucía, Wayne Shorter, to name a few - because of the "Real Book", musicians call it by the movie in which it was featured: Black Orpheus), All the Things You Are, Summertime, The Way You Look Tonight along with some relatively current tunes: Tutu, Lay Down Sally, Soulshine.  We even played our Phish tune Sample in a Jar, a request from Wilson, the sushi chef tableside in front of us (he shared the goods with us on our 2nd break).  I played my Tobias, whcih I have used before on this gig.  Walt was highly complimentary on my fretless tone and technique.  He hadn't been aware of it before this.  I know I've played this bass with him.  I think it was because he heard me warm up a bit on the Oleta Adams ballad Get Here.  It made him aware of the tone, which I like a lot anyways.  It's a lined fretless, so on first glance and sometimes in my playing, you don't think of it as a fretless.  A beautiful bass, perhaps my sweetest axe, being neckthrough and of serious quality.  I hope to do well on it tomorrow as well.  This gig is always fun and laid back.  We didn't get around to Edith and the Kingpin, for which I learned in the key of D and made a chord chart.  I shall revamp it and post here in the near future.  I was happy for the most part.  I repeated my rudimentary licks a few too many times for my own liking.  Hey, who doesn't?  Oh, that's right...





Working on a nice concise transcription for Edith and the Kingpin - should post it in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment