Friday, April 27, 2012

A befuddling, overthought, and ultimately tense night of rather loud jazz at Java Monkey,,,

That may or may not be fair to say.  We were actually in good form for most of the night with Marquinn Mason fronting us with his alto.  His melodic excursions and phrasing bring Phil Woods or even Ornette to mind.  To my ears, he had a large reserve of fresh ideas.  He liked my quote of Freedom Jazz Dance, which I gleaned from Miles back in my GSU days.  I've since learned that Eddie Harris played it without the breaks.  The police came by just before 10:30.  We were encouraged to keep our volume down, as the curfew was in fact 10:30 and not 11:00.  I played my fretless, as I was using it this weekend and wanted to get into the mindset.  It works on a number of levels, and folks seem to dig the tone from the flats - no unnecessary high end to get in the way!  My request for improved lighting paid off and we are not in the dark as before,  Very nice!










No comments:

Post a Comment