Sunday, April 1, 2012

A Frolicking Merge of Fun-Lovin' Families at Capital City Club Hosted by Platinum

We missed Virginia once again as she bowed out to allow Dianna to step in, making us a 8-piece band after all this week.  Kevin was the de-facto leader, bringing set lists, calling the shots, cutting songs at will, getting us to the stage on time - someone's gotta do it!  We were sequestered in the grand ballroom in the corner, as opposed to the other side near the bar as we had been the last few times we were here.  It may be a tight fit, but i like it more.  Gus had a cast on his left foot from a basketball injury - he was able to play with it off.  My NS/Stick sounded great in soundcheck, but I didn't play it during the show.  It was a meat 'n potatoes kind- of night, with lots of testosterone fueled '80's rock and dance numbers.  At this point, I rely on the Stick instruments for the simpler hip-hop stuff.  One of the guests identified it as a Stick!  Good eye!  It fell over while on its stand - I now realize that it is bottom and front heavy, with no angled headstock to help it lean back.  Face down on the carpet - it could have been worse.  At least it didn't get stepped on.

My Stingray sounded bright and punchy, although not the best choice for the jazz numbers we summoned up in the opening set: All the Things You Are (with intro & outro), Billie's Bounce (need to revisit that one - I used to have the head in my head and could double it with the horn on the last go-round), Mercy Mercy Mercy, and a fine version of Joe Henderson's Recordame (isn't it really written as Recorda Me?).  Derek broke a D string but managed to get it replaced while we played You Give Love a Bad Name - he made it just in time for the guitar solo!

All in all, as weddings go, it was a lot of sitting around.  We didn't play while they ate, so we were sequestered upstairs in the green room.  We ate well, with chicken tenders, salad, cheese platter, fruit plate, sodas.  As I was loading in, I overheard a server announcing that she was making some expresso and would her comrade like some - I said, "yes please!"  She laughed and said she had me covered!  I forgot all about it until another server brought it to me.  I then forgot about it until Kevin brought it up to the green room.  I figured I ought to enjoy it - I was delicious.  Maybe the best latte I've ever had!  Secret ingredient: a twist of lemon!  I got to thank her later - very nice!

Here are the pics that probably tell you more than any words I summon...

Getting wild 'n crazy in the green room...
Kevin is explaining some new ideas for mash-ups!












No comments:

Post a Comment