Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The Atlanta Opera Ball: The Debut of the Singing Drummer

It's a surreal feeling on the 4th floor of the Ritz

It has been a while since I played at the Ritz Carlton in Buckhead.  I made my way through some heavy traffic to arrive in time for the necessary unloading, carting, tweaking, and representing.  The loading dock is where I always go at this particular venue, and this dock is only available from the one-way partitioned Lenox Road, or is the Buckhead Loop?  I can typically stay there near the dock, although I've been asked to move to one of the few "lower" spaces just down the hill from the dock.  At least they are cool to contractors on Saturday nights.  They don't have to be.

The big news on this gig was Gus wielding a vocal mic.  He has been working on some background vocals.  There must be something in the air because I see it happening in other bands.  I see it as a positive.  Strong vocals are typically a band's weak point.  Better to err on the side of excess harmonies, rather than too few.  Not certain that I could hear him, but then I'm the only band member who doesn't get a monitor.  What's up with that?

The gig was for the Atlanta Opera.  We have played for their constituents before.  It is typically a long wait until they are finished with the silent auctions and related business.  This time it seemed as though the wait wasn't quite as long.  We gave a good if not predictable show.  It felt different as we were at the Ritz.  We dined in the lounge upstairs from the main bar where Theresa Hightower often performs.  It was a fixed menu of chicken sandwiches, fries, and salad too.  Nice to dine at the Ritz, even if it was casual.  So now you know the rest of the story...






I Will Survive



The real rest of the story - hanging with Capt. Piggy after the gig and watching the DVR'd SNL.

No comments:

Post a Comment