Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Live On the Big Stage: Last Call Performs at Hedges in Athens

Ira sitting in front of his latest creation
View from near the top of Spaghetti Junction

Traffic on a Friday afternoon in Atlanta .  We all know it well.  Depends on where you're going.  I have to say that my commute to Athens from Marietta can fall under the most arduous routes.  I had a lot to deal with and had to be back on Saturday for another job, so I drove myself.  It took about 3 hours...  I try to block that drive it from my memory.  Starbucks took forever, but I was glad I had it about an hour into this commute.

DePalma's Italian Cafe
Once in Athens, it was easy breezy.  David did all of the leg work and checked us in.  He met me and gave me the parking pass and my room key.  Nice.  My blood pressure dropped back to normal within minutes!  I parked in the deck and we walked to the restaurant.  The weather was perfect for the early fall evening, much better than the muggy summer temps when we were here last time.  We had a marvelous dinner at DePalma's Italian Cafe.  What a fine place, and it's all right there on the strip.  I am finally beginning to get a sense of the layout there in downtown Athens. and then an easy load in.  Hedges on Broad is a massive (for us, certainly) club that boasts a large elevated stage, upper level seating, a huge sound system (that we didn't mess with), and a great staff.  Thanks to Leo and everybody for helping to getting a decent crowd to fill this place up.  We actually performed better than we ever had.  Inspiration and perspiration came together on this night.  It takes a lot of adrenaline to get this band completely set and then perform for nearly 4 hours straight.  We just did it.

Our front of house audio tech Davey (that's a nice snake you have fella)
International Jet Setting Electric Violinist Karl
Young Farrel in her element
Who let this guy in here?
The rest of these pics are from Chuck's camera - nice detail of the near-empty room

Setting up and tweeking
Ira had a new "Last Call" backdrop sign constructed that really came out nice.  It makes a great impact and features the band name so that nobody can miss it.  Really well done Ira!  It was great to see Chuck and Lisa with Farrel.  Chuck took some artistic pictures that gave a great perspective on the night that my camera just couldn't do.  Karl made it, played the whole night, and then sped back to Atlanta to catch a flight to Singapore the following morning.  What a trooper!  David made it all very easy for us and played guitar and piano better than ever.  Let It Be and Hey Jude are the new highlights in a long list of memorable tunes.  Once in a while, the stars align and we are blessed to make some music happen.  These pics below are from Chuck's lens.  Great shots that convey the sense of space we were dealing with.  Even some good ones at the bottom that show the crowd having a great time.  We had a great time too!



















The hotel was perfect and morning Starbucks was worth the wait to help me get back for another gig.

No comments:

Post a Comment