Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Two Fridays in a Row With Third Party at Pastis in Roswell

Always an honor to get the call from Glen when Fuji can't make their regular Friday night gig.  Pastis is always a great scene and Third Party is a stellar band.  With Glen Perdew on keys and vocals, Derek McCoy assuming guitar duties, Randy Hutchinson skillfully laying down the tightest grooves ever, and myself  stepping up to the plate, there are some big ears on stage.  There are big ears in the crowd too.  I know Fuji is simply one of the tastiest, in-the-pocket, and downright hippest players to ever grace an Atlanta stage.  Her little shoes are big ones for me to fill.  The regulars, and there are quite a few of regulars, let me know.  They tell me I'm doing alright, which is nice to hear.

The first week was fairly straightforward.  No Always and Forever and no Groove Line.  I guess they do mix it up, which only makes sense.  The second Friday Glen played a rehearsal dinner for the reception Platinum was to play the following night at Peachree Pointe in Lake Lanier.  To fill Glen's position, he needs 2 guys: front-person/bandleader supreme Tyron "Bogey" Thornton (from Bogey and the Viceroy) on vocals and the ever-melodic and funky Mike Bielenberg on keyboards and vocals.  Bogey made up a list with a few choices I wondered about (like Dock of the Bay, for instance - great song, but in a night club setting?  I wasn't so sure).  Turned out that we followed that list almost to a T and the crowd went for it.  It just goes to show you, a cliché tune, albeit a time-tested Stax/Motown/Atlantic R&B bonafide smash hit, can still be very effective in a club as long as it's done right.




No comments:

Post a Comment