Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A Pirate Looks at Fifty in Lake Lanier's Peachtree Pointe

This now legendary event came to fruition on Saturday, June 1, my sister's birthday.  She celebrated and I worked.  Work is play in this case.  I was with Platinum.  In my head, it was all backwards.  I figured the wedding was inside and the band would play outside.  Silly.  I had played down there by the water just a few months ago on St. Patrick's Day.  This time, we were indeed inside.  With the doors open, there was a breeze, but it sure didn't hit us on the stage.  Hey, I was glad to have my GK Fusion 550 back in service.  It really makes a difference, knowing that I have that delicious headroom and hairy tone.  I also brought out my  acoustic guitar, an Ovation Celebrity CC245 12-string acoustic/electric.  Used, but new to me.  It's a beautiful instrument.  I've always wanted a 12-string, and I've always wanted an Ovation.  They are bright sounding, but that can be a plus with a 12-string.  I'm using it on I'll Be, of course.  I'm supposed to play it on Landslide if we end up trying that with more instrumentation.  Travis picking is hard enough; try it on a 12-string.  The good news, of course, is that the neck is nice and straight and the guitar is like new.  Came with a very nice SKB hardshell case as well.  Poor Derek had forgot his acoustic and was supposed to play some jazzy guitar for the cocktail hour.  He ended up playing electric and sounded great at it, of course.

Ate our dinner of burgers 'n fries outside; much better setup than inside near the bathrooms.  I procured a big bag of ice so that we could have some cold drinks.  Hey, it's my style.  Ya gotta live a little.  As hot as it was, we were in need of some cold refreshment.  After that, the whole night was seamless.  As I recall, we broke out Rock With You with Marguerita singing it.  Sounded good.  What else?  Virginia got us a round of drinks and the band toasted me with a Happy Birthday - nice and thank you all for the birthday well wishes!








No comments:

Post a Comment