Thursday, July 25, 2013

Marital Bliss at The Wimbish House




I've played here a few times now.  It's just not the place that characteristically holds a large crowd on the dance floor; that may be a coincidental occurrence.  The fact that it has multiple levels allows for more mingling; the cake cutting and speeches tend to occur on the middle floor.  The band is implored to use the service elevator and not share the stairs with the guests.  We are sequestered to a small room on the top floor that lacks what many green rooms provide: a table, chairs, drinks, ice, separate bathrooms for men and women.  When you're a member of a 8-piece band + an audio/lighting tech, these are considerations.  Actually, we were a 7-piece this evening, with Virginia out and Dianna filling in - Kevin was on it even though the itinerary stated otherwise.  A tall, well-dressed man in white running shoes kept a close eye on all of us "vendors."  He appeared as I pulled into the driveway to unload.  He made certain that I knew I couldn't park there for very long.  I unloaded and pulled my gear down the driveway.  I went against my typical policy to avoid paying for parking by opting for the lot next to the venue, rather than moving to Colony Square which would have been comped to the band.  The traffic was a bit heavy, and at 11:30 or so at night it would certainly be quite congested.

I learned Whitney's I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) for the occasion.  Dianna likes to sing it.  I was hoping to really nail it, to give Lady Di something to think about, since Platinum Soul plays it as well.  Well, I knew it well for soundcheck.  On the gig, I started in Ab rather than Gb.  I don't know why I think of it as a "flat" key, I just do.  It got to me, apparently.  Glen corrected me as quickly as he could.  God bless his golden ears.  So much for making an impression.  I like the bass line, as it is a synth bass, tracked, I believe, by Randy Jackson - yes, that Randy Jackson.  A little more work and we could really nail it.  All's well.


Postscript:  Finally posting this writing and see that we're due to play the Whitney tune for a couple's first dance this Saturday at the Capital City Club.  Guess a quick review is in order!  BTW, here is a link to a video of a great player who showed me the ropes.  His embellishments and well-articulated slides actually improved upon the original, in my opinion.  And a very nice Mike Lull J-style axe with block inlays and matching headstock.  Thank you Rino!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g4ojKZlX0Q

It made me seek out an Akai Deep Impact pedal until I learned that it has long been discontinued and fetches as much as $800 on ebay.  The SB-1 was a more professional alternative to the Boss SYB-3 or SYB-5 that I am more familiar with.  The Deep Impact gives a juicy if not downright wet tone, unlike my Boss counterpart, that leans towards more of a sawtooth nasty edge.  It seems that the essence of it is still an analog-generated octave lower than the original signal that gives a nice round tone, perfect for emulating a synth-bass track.  Thus, the whole bass line must be played an octave higher than what would be considered normal.  I can get an octave to track down to B (2nd fret on the A string) if I'm careful; C is a safer bet.  Who needs a 5-string when technology can be implemented?

No comments:

Post a Comment