Sunday, July 7, 2013

"Absynthe Makes The Art Garfunkel" Opens Up the "B4th Bash Fundraiser" at the Moonshadow Tavern

You'd think I could come up with a witty title for this one.  I had a few:

Tom and Jerry Get Busy For a Worthy Cause
The Second Act Is The Prelude
So Glad I'm Not The Soundman This Time
Hey, Where Are The Horns Gonna Stand?
Go Ahead And Take My Microphone - Oh Wait, You Already Did!
There Goes Rhymin' Fritz!
Richie Jones Had a Party

Give me enough time and I'll come up with even more.  Glad to play with this incredible ensemble once again.  These guys really know their music.  I'm proud to be up there trying to keep up.  It's a lesson in singer/songwriter/harmony/accompaniment.  Bass can take the back seat, but every so often it becomes the extreme focal point.  Paul (and Artie) sure worked with some fine talent in their recordings.  For my money, it doesn't get much more challenging than channeling these terrific parts.  We all had a fine time up on stage that afternoon.  With just an hour to throw down, we were able to cherry pick the set to highlight the core 6-piece group this time out.  It felt a bit slanted towards the solo years.  If it had been up to me, I would have (perhaps wrongly) picked a few more obscure ones to toss out to the appreciative crowd.  Still, a decent chunk of the gig was on my list if the truth were told.  There are certain songs that demand to be played by this conglomerate.

Once again we were blessed to be entertained by Matthew Smith on acoustic & electric guitars & lead vocals, J.T. Alessi on acoustic guitar, electric ukulele, & lead vocals, Jeff Fritz on keyboards, acoustic guitar, & lead vocals, Adrian Ash on drums & vocals, Don Whitaker on percussion, and myself on bass guitar.  Highlights were certainly The Only Living Boy In New York, Graceland, Kodachrome, Late in the Evening, and a fine jam on You Can Call Me Al.  That little bass solo is so unabashedly fleeting and unforgiving, but I did receive some sincere compliments.  I know where it starts to fall apart, but by then it's time to jump back into the groove anyways.  What a quick eight beats to have to contemplate!  The vocal mix was a terrific blend, and yes, I was extremely grateful to not have to set up and mix the front of house sound.  We had an odd long delay in the monitors - probably the mains as well - but it didn't hamper us.  A great crowd on a fine sunny Saturday made for a most awesome celebratory gig with some great musical compadres.  This band needs to share its embarrassment of riches with a greater group of audients.



No comments:

Post a Comment