Sunday, July 17, 2011

Wine Tasting at Java Monkey on July 7 with the Adrian Ash Group, once again

I have done this gig quite a bit over the last year and a half.  I hope I can keep it up, but the job may start to get in the way.  Trying to figure it all out, and I'm not that good at that...  This night, July 7th, we had Mr. Tommy Mays on sax and flute.  He sounded great and fit right in, but I had the sense that he wasn't too excited to be there.  Gigs like this are hard to sub out, I suppose, since the money isn't large, so it's really about getting together and playing for the sport of it.  We musicians have to make a living, but not every gig is lucrative, that's for sure.  Who makes a lot of money playing jazz around here?  Plenty do, but plenty are itching to play as well.  I brought my NS and got a nice thumpy dark tone with my Fishamn Pro Platinum EQ.  It was overloading a lot, so I kept reducing the input gain till it was around the 9 o'clock position (barely on 2, perhaps?).  It seems that when I boost the 5 band eq, particularly the lowest band in conjunction with the deep rolled up, that affects the preamp gain and overloading occurs.  Wish the eq was after the input gain stage.  My camera/phone was not cooperating that night, so I decided to process some of these drabby pix with some cheesy effects.  I'd rather have them up here than throwing them into the cyber-dump.








No comments:

Post a Comment