Saturday, July 2, 2011

Tuesday June 21: A Night With Bill Hunter aka DJ Billy Vinyl

A night celebrating the Summer Solstice: June 21st, 2011.  This is a tribute to my old friend (ok, he's younger than I ever was) Bill Hunter, an associate & bud from the old RGB & MMS days.  We had some crazy times together, as any co-worker can attest (to).  I had hinted that I'd come to check out some tunes he would be spinning on this night, & so I kept my promise, with Sabina's kind support, of course.  The place was located on Boulevard south of I-20, kinda near Grant park, naturally.  A little bit scary, but not for me, ya see.  This isn't related to bass playing or musicianship, per se, but it is an example of how we are all supported by others when you get down to it.  By my presence, the crowd increased by 1, but a mighty 1 in my opinion.  Hey.  I had a good time & Bill looked great.  A blast from the past.  He also performed great.  A good DJ can really make the night a true experience by reading the crowd, reacting to the vibe, & pushing the expectations beyond the norm.  Bill does that every time I hear his spinning magic.  He employs a lot of vintage vinyl, inclusing 45's!  I really enjoyed what he played.  He even threw in some Jackson 5 joint.  An old friend of a friend, Kent (from Binnie's friends Jules & Craig) was there as well, also DJ'ing and being part of the hang.  These are good people who I haven't seen in a long, long time.  Life gets away from me & it is good to get out just to see an old comrad doing what he loves to do.  Hope to see Billy again soon.







No comments:

Post a Comment