Sunday, July 17, 2011

Nemoe's in Norcross

Platinum played a rare public performance at Nemoe's Tavern & Grill in Norcross, on the left of 141 just after the split from Peachtree Industrial Boulevard.  It was a lot of fun!  I didn't know what to think, but the crowd was a good one and really held in there as far as digging our usual stuff, no matter where we went with it.  Glen had to sing quite a bit as Kevin was on vacation.  It was just the 7 of us.  I had a nice big Guinness (hey, it's product placement), but generally laid low as far as drinking goes.  This band really backfires as far as my reliability if I try to sneak a drink (we all remember that one) or bring my own (Gus knows), and the band really deserves a sober bassist!  Don't they all?  Well, shooters were delivered during the 2nd set, so don't think I didin't enjoy it!  It was just a short margarita, actually, although it's just not a margarita if it's missing the salt.  Anywho, we played our butts off for the club and the people.  I talked with the dj/mc, Mr. Alan White, a very nice fellow who really seemed to dig what we were shovelin'.  I dug his stuff too.  Great mix and he worked the crowd depending on who was there.  We enjoyed nice entrees & salads, sweet tea, and watching all those cars pull up to see us.  How satisfying to know that we can work it in the public arena.  The real big news for me is that I got up the gumption to engage my "bridged mono" switch on my Eden amp.  This provided enough wattage that I wasn't clipping the output amp as before.  These expensive clean sounding amps come at a headroom price.  Now my headroom is really nice and high, and I'm very happy about that.  I didn't want to get a totally clean, antiseptic amp.  This one has a tube pot, as well as the well known Enhancer pot, that can scoop the sound very musically.  I don't think I should ever set that above 12 o'clock.  I sounds great with my SWR GoLight 15, a small little cabinet that puts out some nice big sound, I must say.  Very happy with my rig lately.  Got to sing "Sweet Home Alabama" and then, right afterwards, "Honky Tonk Women" with Glen playing bass!  Well, I gotta go with the flow, so I really try to have fun on it.  Forgot to warn G-Clef that I was using my old Ibenez Soundgear 6 string (don't forget that it has those EMG's - always got to mention that cause it improved it so much - best pickup replacement I've ever taken part in).  He is a great bassist - it's all about the feel.  I have a lot to work on in that department, but I'm gotten pretty far, for a White guy.  Had a decent synth sound on the Lady Gaga stuff this time.  Oh, wish I had a pic but I got to see and speak with Mike Veal after the show.  Great to see him after all of these years.  We used to play at Fat Matt's, of course.  Ah, good times...





No comments:

Post a Comment