Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Brett Warren Band Testifies


Here's a potentially combustible aggregation of fusion disciples, combining forces for the unsuspecting throngs casually sipping and noshing at Decatur's fine bistro Java Monkey.  Brett Warren from Chattanooga, Tennessee is a triple threat of stunt guitar with Vai-esque chops, Stevie Wonder range vocals, and a wealth of proggish musical leanings.  The band is only limited by his vision and the hired hands who may not quite be up to speed.  I guess I speak for myself more than the others.  I have visions of being ready for anything.  Reality seldom intersects with one's intentions in cases such as this.  Here's a chart I could have used on the spot:


Nice page of chord changes, with no melody, found here at Free Realbook Jazz Charts.  A great resource for legible chord sheets and an index of where to track down printed pages.  I always thought of it being in the key of E flat minor, not D sharp minor.  That said, D sharp minor is only 4 sharps, whereas E flat minor is 6 flats.  D sharp minor it is!  This is a good one to know, as all Stevie tunes are.  I am working on a homemade chart with melody and such, but it takes time that I just don't have at the moment...



Aside from Brett and his first-call drummer/bassist/vibraphonist/guitarist/vocalist Adrian Ash, we were joined by Deep Blue Sun's keyboard wizard John Marsh.  John was a much welcome addition to the fold, wielding his multi-timbrel Nord and pretty much slaying any tune that came his way.  I know I let him (hell, all four of us) down a bit on the above mentioned song.  I thought I knew it a bit better.  I learned it in a former life, but it had been a long time between revisits.  I think I went through it on the Stick way back when.  I can remember shedding in my bedroom at the house I shared with Jim from Atlanta CD and two others in Dunwoody, we're talking 1991 or so.  I was getting into Stevie really for the first time, picking up used copies of his older stuff whenever it came through the doors of the retail store we managed.  Anyways, that was one I wanted to get down but it obviously didn't stay with me so well.  Well, apologies to John - I hope we can play together again at some point, under better prepared circumstances.

Other interesting tunes we did that did turn out well: The set opener of The Lee Boys' funk vamp Testify (paying homage to a sweet version on YouTube featuring Oteil & Kofi Burbridge), Stellar Rays from the virtuosic Shawn Lane, Tamacun by Rodrigo y Gabriela, a 12-bar rave up of Johnny Winter's called You Must have a Twin, Al Green's Let's Stay Together, Frank Zappa's miniature pop-jazz-symphony Peaches En Regalia, the Godfather of Jam Bands Col. Bruce Hampton & The Aquarium Rescue Unit's Time Flack, not to mention Les McCann's (and ARU's) Compared To What - man, the sights were set high on this night...

There was some good energy throughout the two extended sets.  The other Winter brother was represented by Edgar's classic hit Frankenstein.  Adrian contributed a killer solo - gotta give the drummer some - and paid homage to the late, great Chuck Ruff.  Chuck Ruff!   That solo sounds easy - it's rhythmically twisted!  Another good exercise in tight unison lines is another Stevie pop ditty Sir Duke.  Last time I played it I did it in Bb.  This time we kept it in B.  Stevie loves that key since it is so closely connected to D#m or Ebm;  I wonder how he thinks of those keys.  Sometimes I wonder if he just plays music and sings and doesn't even think about what the technical terms are.  I mean, he doesn't read music, unless it's in braille.  I don't think so.  I think we were 90% solid on Sir Duke;  my licks were a little skittish and maybe we weren't quite right on that 2nd chord in the chorus (an F minor following the B major - such a cool change).  A critical critique indeed.  It was big fun to jump into the deep blue waters with these fearless fusioneers and tread lightly with a highly anticipatory crowd hanging onto our next genre shift.  By the way, Peaches was a bonafide success, even if I did not nail the Shuggie Otis bass line note for note!  More performances from the Brett Warren Band are promised in the future, perhaps in early autumn from what I gather.


1 comment:

  1. I came here to make sure that this post contained the words "Shuggie" ... "Otis" ... and "bonafide".

    Trivia: Johnny Otis, Shuggie's dad, is from whom FZ got his trademark moustache/goatee.

    Go Johnny!

    ReplyDelete