Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Platinum Heads West to The Club in Birmingham

This was a deluxe birthday party celebration for a distinguished 70 year young man.  It turned out to be a fine  gathering at The Club, a cool, retro chic Rat-Pack evoking lounge that overlooks much of Birmingham, Alabama.  What a view, indeed.  The stage is motorized so it is a simple roll-on and roll-off, with a vertigo inducing rise for proper elevation.  One thing about playing for somebody's 70th birthday that is perhaps key: we weren't there for him, per se.  We were there because somebody decided it's not a party without a band.  As it turns out, the most important song of the night was Sweet Home Alabama, for obvious reasons.  Bogey handled the vocals on this one, and very well I must say.  It turns out that lots of folks know the words to this one.  No worries.  I actually did sing an energetic version of Johnny B. Goode.  I did indeed rock!  I was pleasantly surprised that I could continuously hit that E (we were in A, not Bb).  Sometimes I got it, sometimes I don't.  If I'm relaxed, then it can be downright smooth.

Glen, Derek, and Norm all rode with me.  Nice to split the gas money 4 ways.  It did take it's toll on me, as I had a church gig in the morning.  After unloading form that, I manged to hurt my sore toe once again.  Earlier from moving a dog crate, then Piggy stepping on my toe, then my combo amp landing (gently but firmly) square on it.  That was the last straw - "Uncle", said the big toe!  This led to going to the clinic and suffering a major skin infection that is still in the healing process.  I'll spare the picture I took - a lot of purple!  My word, what a wrong thing to do there...

some pics to follow

No comments:

Post a Comment