Monday, June 3, 2013

A TAAG Reunion Reception and a Cozy Throwdown in Marietta at the Whitlock Inn

The full 8-piece performing unit assembled in the rather small great room at the Whitlock Inn, just off of Marietta Square.  We were pressed into the corner of the room, as tight as we could get.  For the first time that I remember, I didn't even bother with my pedalboard.  Still using the Genz-Benz to power the cabinet.  No compression - a new sensation!  Super tight stage setup.  I set my gear up after a morning stint at work in Norcross.  Then I hurried over to join Adrian Ash, Jason Passmore, and Guy Fenocchi,  earlier in the day, Ade got the ol' "Java Monkey Wine Tasting" band back together to play a wedding ceremony and reception at the Church of St. Andrew on Riverside Drive at 285.  The ceremony music was a mix of contemporary Christian with a heavy rock slant.  The volume was subsequently kept in check, perhaps wisely so.  We played a mix of Motown classics, instrumentally, for the dancers during the reception.  It was very nice, if a little stiff.  No choice on that matter; being in a church, there was no alcohol involved.  No worries, we provided good vibes on many requested tunes.  Supposedly, the groom wanted to hear In-a-Gadda-da-Vida, but the timing didn't seem to work out (not ours, mind you).  The most popular by far seemed to be I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) by The Four Tops.  That's a good one to have under your belt.  So many people saw The Big Chill back in the day...




Platinum was tucked away into a corner, if you can imagine that.  It was so tight, yes, no pedals, as mentioned previously.  Lots of Van the Man, lots of classic rock.  The first song of the evening was also the first song from earlier with Adrian: Just The Two of Us.  How coincidental!  Also implemented a soon-to-be-oft-requested mash-up of Gold Digger into Thrift Shop - both in Ab so that makes it extra special.  It was the first gig with Norm subbing for Anton.  Norm remembered me from Fat Matt's Rib Shack!  He also remembered Matt Kearney and Randy Chapman.  Hey, well I'll be.  He sounded good.  No synth, but lots of well played percussion.  I have a feeling there's more to Norm than a clever name.  I played the 6-string, as I did earlier in the day.  It is a fine all around no worry bass as far as I'm concerned.  Nice venue, if a bit small.  Thanks to Gus for reminding me that I'd left my axe on my exit.  I didn't waste too much time...





No comments:

Post a Comment