Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Temple Hosted an Elegant Wedding Reception

The big news on this one was me fronting the band for the first dance.  A song from the North Carolina neo-bluegrass group The Avett Brothers entitled Swept Away.  A nice song that grew on me.  Soundcheck went well.  I felt a bit self-conscious singing but I thought I could improve the delivery.  Well, the ceremony came fast and we had walk-on bits to play, including I Feel Good.  After the funk, I had to quickly switch gears, put on the acoustic guitar, and step up to the front.  I didn't have the first line of the song in my head, and it didn't start too comfortably.  It wasn't a disaster, but it was rather timid and uncertain.  Still, I got a nice big compliment from the groom as we were starting to pack up and that made me feel good.  Rule number one when you sing: have that first line ready to go!  Don't think it will just come to you.  It was just too much going on just before the song for me I guess.

Earlier in the evening, I happened upon Daniel & Carla Padron performing as a duo during the cocktail hour.  It was good to see them and they sounded great.  It had been while, certainly.  Daniel complimented me as well.  I played with Wild Rice for many years.  I think some of my final gigs with that band took place just as this blog began back in 2010.  I miss the music and the salsa, but in retrospect I suppose the decision for Daniel to get somebody who could be more consistent was a good one.  Time has become that precious commodity that I value ever so much more these days.  Work sure takes a lot out of my day and energy.  Yeah, not like I'm different than most others out there.

I didn't take any noteworthy pics.  Kevin managed a couple, one of me up front trying to stay on track.  A nice shot, if I do say so myself.  He got Virginia as well, looking fine and confident.  She was a welcome co-lead-singer up there with me.  Kevin is the man!



No comments:

Post a Comment