Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Rocking BBE at CCC Had 'em Dancing: Channeling The Fab Four in Vocals, Instruments, and Song Selection

This quartet meets up and all of the time elapsed just vanishes.  Walter "Middleshelf" Austin on piano and other ethereal tones (I strictly informed he doesn't receive double-scale payment for so much musicality), Brian "Big TIme" Molin on alto and tenor guitars (depending on where he is on the neck), Mark "Chuckie" Letalien on percussives and allsorts, and myself on the fretless 5-string make up this band we like to call Billy Batts Ensemble.  We had 'em dancing at the end of the evening, obliging with an extended set of blues, swing, and my vocal turn at Van the Man's Domino.  In fact, all four of us had a turn at the mic for at least a song: Walt sang the most, as we defer to him generally: Unchain My Heart has become a signature tune of ours.  Sounded fine on Statesboro BLues as well.  Brian supplied Got My Mojo Working.  Mark brought the house down with a sincere turn at With a Little Help From My Friends.  Really nice.  I will make certain I'm ready for those backups next time.  I think Walt had Paul's part down, so I just have to summon Sir John's harmony.  The harmonies in that one take on the role of leads, as it's a call and response in reverse - a response and call.  And the bridge comes along twice.  We also played through Dolphin Dance and Stella By Starlight, 2 of my all time favorites.  The former is harder to solo on than just about any other song I can think of.  What's up with that?  All in all, a great and blustery night that started with nobody wanting to sit outside, 1 4-top venturing outside and then scampering away form us, and then the glorious finish with our most ardent fans ever, demanding more and more!  C'est la vie - it goes to show you never can tell, right Chuck?










No comments:

Post a Comment