Sunday, October 7, 2012

Platinum at Lake Lanier's Pine Isle Pointe

Pine Isle Point boasts some serious lakefront vistas!  Up here in Lanier country, water is the main attraction.  Houseboat financing available!  It was hard to find, as I blindly surged forth taking in the tunes I had to ingest for the evening: Me and You;  My Wish;  Free (Zac Brown Band);  Just the Way You Are (Billy Joel);  Lovesong (Adele's version).  Too bad I had typed in 700 Holiday Road in Buford instead of 7000 Holiday Road...  There are 2 Holiday Roads in Buford - ha!  I got there late but nobody was that upset.  Here is the link, just so we can get it out of the way!  http://www.lakelanierislands.com/weddings/receptions

Great facility and great sound from David Junius, aka The Man!  Funny how to my ears, my rig can be very loud, then on the next song it isn't keeping up, then it's too loud again later on.  I feel like I'm always fiddling with it.  I used to NS WAV with the ol' strap attachment; NS Designs now labels it as the Frame Strap System here.  I'm getting more used to the orientation of this long-necked bass when worn.  It's an odd sense of mobility when I use my wireless as well.  We opened with some jazz, as is customary.  This time out it was All the Things You Are.  Nice changes, but such an old timey tune that most likely goes over everybody's heads.  Some enough, it was onto the standard fare.  We always leave out some of the more interesting tunes.  After all of this time, it was good to see Norah Jones' Don't Know Why on the list; too bad we broke before hitting it.  I just love those whole note goose eggs of roots on the 42'' scale.  The bottom end on this EUB really shakes our lower intestines unlike any other bass I have.  Played acoustic guitar on I'll Be.  Freshly changed strings gave it a nice tone.  I think I will eventually go with 13's instead of 12's.  Too bad I have another pack of 12's.  I need a more robust tone on that black Fender.

Had Myra Johnson on loan from Atlanta Soul Band as well as Twisted Hip.  She did a wonderful job filling in for Dianna.  Funny how singers know songs in a different way than we are used to doing.  When things get changed up, just follow the singer, even if it means cutting the song in half.  Act like nothing happened!  Easy gig all around.  We gave 'em what they wanted, even an encore.  Hey, we gave an encore last Friday as well.  Don't let that get around too much!  Don't want to spread the word that we want to stay late and play more than we need to...









No comments:

Post a Comment