Saturday, June 9, 2012

Jason Passmore Releases His New CD "Beautiful Day" (a short review), plus TAAG Performs the Music of Jimi Hendrix and more...


Our standard closer for the night is often the Electric Ladyland track Voodoo Chile (Slight Return).  It helps to bring the mood down from the heady chordal changes to a modal romp.  For the most part, we kept it swinging throughout the night.  I played upright, as I had last week with The Flycats, and was about to do the following night once again.  Funny how I was relaxed and in the zone with the other band.  With TAAG, I'm nervous and hesitant, often flustered at my soloing skills.  I can't relax as much for some reason.  With upright, I simply need the confidence to play with authority.  Easier said than done.

Opened the night with Dr. Lonnie Smith's Back Track, a solid Monk-flavored simmering funk.  I've learned to really like this one.  It can be played in a way similar to Well You Needn't.  Other notable tunes we tried were Guy's original 6/8 workout with nutty minor pentatonic unison riffs Fonkatello, with my part showing some unusual bass note variations that Guy couldn't recollect the validity of, Charlie Hunter's burning fusion Fred's Life, and  perhaps the hippest bossa of all, Joe Henderson's Recorda Me.  Ah, I really didn't play very well and hate to admit it but my days in this line up could be up for contention.  I just don't dedicate myself to the jazz the way I know I need to and want to.  Will keep on pressing forward nonetheless.  Did break out my J-bass, while clumsily bumping the upright over (super ouch! - turned out to be as okay as it could, certainly embarrassing).  Was concerned that my fingers would be sore for the following night, which would be another gig on upright.  Nice change of pace.  Wish i could have played Fonkatello on the electric.  Saw Luis Stefanell, who must live nearby, as he's caught us before.  He commented that I certainly had a lot of solo spots.  It made me think that perhaps I should be better at taking those spots...

Need to mention Jason's fantastic new cd entitled Beautiful Day.  Jason is really an extraordinary talent on woodwinds as well as other instruments, music instruction, composition, arranging, really, the guy is a real pro who can handle just about any musical style presented to him.  He does it all, and very well.  I met him while I was in Wild Rice, as he came aboard to take over the trumpet lines, so to speak, on his soprano sax.  He can read anything, within reason!  Well, at any rate, he has been busy with some of the musicians in Wild Rice.  Recorded at Daniel Padrón's studio, this is classic yet modern jazz in a melodic yet adventurous vein.  A very well paced album of originals and some provocative standards as well.  Daniel has an impressive facility on the piano, on first listen he's somewhat of a cross between Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock, particularly in his comping.  Oh, he's good, really good.  As an engineer, he captures a sweet vibe with a nice polished air on the cymbals, strong mids, and solid, not tubby bottom end with plenty of upright wood eking through.  A very clean recording.  Reece Harris from Wild Rice and The Flycats is the drummer here, shining and dynamic as always, and the solid, thoughtful upright bass is provided by L.A. Tuten (this cat simply never plays a bad note; his solos are striking compositions that sit on their own with little regard for senseless flash).  I myself am on one song (thanks Jason!), perhaps the earliest recorded track on the cd: Daniel's flowing arrangement of Aquarius from the musical Hair.  Hard to not think of The 5th Dimension's big hit version (no Let The Sun Shine coda here, which is just as well).  I enjoyed the many times playing through this in the past;  it was re-conceived as a jazz waltz, somewhat similar to a Coltrane Quartet track in feel.  Nice to be in the company of these fine players.  Listening through the disk, there's really not a single out-of-place note; no over-playing, a very seasoned session underway.  Readers with some change to spare should really seek this recording out, and certainly not just for my contribution.  It can be obtained from Jason's website here.  He has it set up for mp3 purchases as well.  Nice job Jason - you should be proud!







No comments:

Post a Comment