Monday, June 4, 2012

My Birthday, Sweetwater Junction Style



A lot of props goes out to my family.  Lucky to have Sabina and these boys to bestow handsome cards and love in the morning before I have to hit the road.  Got a nice gift certificate for abbadabba's, purveyor of "cool shoes" and Birkenstocks.  Binnie knows I need new Birks, my man-sandals of granola earthy quality and lore.  Very generous of her.  They agreed to celebrate with me on Sunday so that I could go and earn a little green.  It was a trek down to South Georgia, specifically Alma.  Fun fact, if you don't want to click the link:

"Alma's name is an acronym comprised of the first letters in the names of four Georgia capitals: Augusta, Louisville, Milledgeville, and Atlanta."

I did not know that!  I don't really know what "they" mean by capitals; I thought Atlanta was the only capital of Georgia.  Alma is known for it's Blueberry Festival every summer around this time.  Did not see any sign of the festival this weekend, but we may have breezed right past it.  We were in a nice club, tucked into the corner with wooden floors and not-too-high ceilings.  It was not an appropriate venue for this band, but we made do.  The other chaps were Brian Molin, Mark Letalien, Dan Barker, and Scott Walker.  I brought my 2 5-strings and my Stick.  It was my birthday, I wanted to play some Stick!  It sounded alright, actually.  I haven't even adjusted anything on it.  Last time out, It was fretting out at 1st and 2nd postions.  It still needs a little height at the nut, but I wanted to check it out before undoing Emmett's supremely tappable setup.  Used in during the soundcheck and then in the 1st set.  Even did some right-hand chording, nothing fancy mind you.  Messed up on a couple of notes and Brian gave me the stink eye.  I settled in after that.  Come to think of it, I even used it on Hard To Handle!  It was rockin'!  Got some nice compliments on it after the gig.  Somebody mentioned that he was impressed to see a Stick-tar (his words) in a venue this small.  Yep.

During our break, folks got up and played some stuff and they sounded good.  They were playing Mark's drums as well.  People should always ask before jumping on our gear.  That wouldn't normally happen if we were on a real stage.  I don't think anything bad happened, but it wasn't cool.  The crowd really came alive at the end and we were even given overtime pay to continue.  Nice people there in Alma.








No comments:

Post a Comment