Monday, June 11, 2012

4th Gig In 4 Days: Retrieving My Car To Join Up With The Flycats in Suwanee

Got my car out of the wrecker yard, $125 later.  How did they unlock it?  Nothing was missing.  I was concerned about the iPod and my crate o' cables and chart book.  At least it was a private impounding, so no points on the record for this.  Made it promptly over to the Hudson Grille to retrieve my rig (brought my bass home with Martay last night/this morning).  Then scrambled back home to unload and reload with my upright and small amp for a brunch in Suwanee.  All of this stressful driving across town made even worse by a heavy rain that blanketed the city for the entire morning.  With The Flycats once again, I got to play in Suwanee at the impressively large Moondance Restaurant & Lounge.  By the way, we enjoyed a marvelous brunch during our break.  The food is some of the greatest breakfast food I've tasted in a long time; on par with the Ritz Carlton.

We played to a small but enthusiastic crowd of late morning diners.  Great selection of old school Real Book tunes: All Of Me; Bye Bye Blackbird;  The More I See You;  What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life?;  Sandu;  I Love You;  Blue Bossa (always intend to try to cop the original bass line to this Kenny Dorham standard that Butch Warren laid down on the Joe Henderson album Page One album - it just never feels right, though);  All the Things You Are;  Bluesette;  Fly Me To The Moon;  Days of Wine and Roses;  Comin' Home Baby;  The Flintstones (always a great set closer, even faster than the last time).  My upright sounded really good, I must say.  The Fishman EQ is very well voiced for the upright.  If I'm not having to play too loudly, I can boost the middle of the 5 sliders and get a nice, articulate tone that Gary Peacock might be proud of.  I'm more or less in the zone with these Flycats.  Reece is a truly great friend who really bestows confidence and outstanding bonhomie in myself.  I only wish to do the same for him.  he has a great gift there.  Plus, he gets inside the music and that makes the jazz a fun romp.  Glenn just rips confidently over from his side of the stage.  Plus, he sings very well.  He's very complimentary towards me as well.  Good guys who really do love the old tunes, and it shows in their sound.

Glenn suffered with house PA issues and shorted mic cables.
Trying to look awake after getting 3 1/2 hours of sleep and stressing about my towed car...
Reece is easy-breezy and a welcome comrade to unload upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment