Sunday, October 2, 2011

Saturday at Paddy's with The Kristin Tinsley Band

A referral led me to meeting and playing with Kristin Tinsley last night.  The gig was at a place I hadn't been to before, Paddy's Pub and Eatery, located in Kennesaw on Cobb Parkway.  It's hard to miss from the street, as it is bathed in green lights all around, fitting for the Irish theme.  I think this place has more flat screen tv's than Best Buy.  Hard to take a picture in here without having a tv image in the background!  We had a decent little stage that gave me ample room to be the bassist I always try to be.  Kristin sings and plays acoustic guitar, oh so well I must add.  She is a wonderful front person who commands attention and leads us all very well.  A real talent for leading a band.  How nice!  I also met the rest of the band: Mike Kuykendall on guitar and vocals and Mark Whitmore on drums.  Great players who brought a lot of energy to the proceedings.  We played a ton of music: Go Your Own Way, Rhiannon, Can't You See, Free Falling, Come To My Window, Stuck in the Middle With You, Ironic, Folsom Prison Blues, Billie Jean, Rockin' in the Free World, Time After Time, Me and Bobby McGee, Take It Easy, Call Me the Breeze, Gimme Three Steps, Simple Man, Joey, Pride and Joy, Shine, Black Velvet, Dark Eyed Cajun Woman, Long Train Runnin', Jolene, The Boys of Summer, What's Up, and I Will Survive.  I hung in there and Kristin seemed to dig my playing, which is always a relief.  I realize that my sense of groove and timing is perhaps not a traditional bass player's feel, but I'm not certain that that is a bad thing.  After so many years, we do what we do and it can't be helped, as far as the pocket is concerned.  The rig sounded fine, and my P-bass seems to be an easy go-to weapon for many situations lately.  Loving the pickups and I'm even not missing the lack of tone control.  If anything, it's a bit scooped sounding, so perhaps I need to watch those all-important mids and make sure they don't get lost in all of the hi-fi tweaking I tend to employ.  The lights were low, so these pics are crummy as usual.  However, Mike got us lighted eventually, so the 2nd set had some nice hues.  Hopefully I can get with this fine group again real soon.










No comments:

Post a Comment