Friday, October 28, 2011

The Adrian Ash Group at Java Monkey, The Haunting, Part II

Last night we gathered for another evening of wine tasting at Java Monkey.  It turned out that we didn't feel the big urge collectively to attempt anything from Bitches Brew, in spite of Adrian's (and my) interest in the project.  We all have to be on board for this kind of thing.  The songs themselves are more sketches than compositions.  I get that.  The legend of that album has almost overshadowed the music within.  I am aware of many live recordings and even tribute acts playing this stuff, many with small bands such as ours.  It's a leap of faith one must make to begin to envision playing these things in front of a crowd and actually making music at the same time!  So we didn't!

We did play Guy's new chart of Walking on the Moon, as well as the scary themes of The Munsters/Addams Family, Frankenstein, Nardis (a Miles tune that I don't think he ever recorded as a leader) & In-a-Gadda-da-Vida.  It really wasn't hyped as a Halloween Spooktacular, so I guess the marketing sector of our minds just wasn't feeling it.  I "screwed the pooch" (my term for "stepping on my dick" or just "flubbing up royally" on The Munsters medley when I didn't think to catch the coda.  I live and die by the coda.  That is an area of weakness on my part for sure.  I guess I zone out on those black dots a bit too much.  It's a real letdown when it happens.  Bad enough that I'm so dependent on reading these to begin with.  Well, perhaps I can call it a lesson learned by putting it up here for faithful readers to "tsk tsk" and shake their heads knowingly in unison.  Keep on trying and keep on smiling!  I did manage some decent pics of the gang.


Guy employed a very and seldom used envelope follower effect.

Among those who stopped by during the night, we saw Matt from Uncle Fishstick
& the Special Purpose.  He was most gracious with compliments, which mean a lot
as he is a gifted guitarist who is possibly one of the busiest  musicians in Atlanta.

About to start 'er up.

Fonk's Pedalboard du Jour

Guy & Jason nailing it!

Psst!  Adrian & Heather are expecting a baby (14 weeks along)!

Without a bass around my neck, it looks like a glamour shot.

Loadout.

Patio view from the street.

The front of our bistro hang.
Double parked for easy loading.  Got to be careful around here.
The Decatur Police show no remorse when it comes to writing tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment