Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Padriac's in October - 5 Down and 1 To Go For This Year

MartaY & The PartaY has become a not-too-frequent fixture at this Vinings hotspot.  I think we had one of our better nights ever, certainly as far as the crowd goes.  It was thin early on, with many of those in attendance watching the football action on the screen above us.  Funny to get cheers at an appropriate point in the show, only to quickly realize they are cheering for a major play going on behind our "stage."  There is no stage, of course.  We are situated by the door.  I thought I was going to be cold every time the door opened, but it was warm all night.  Marty was in a strange mood, and he and Brent conferred in the parking lot before the show.  I still don't know what was up with that.  It made for some push-n-pull between the two of them, but all in all, we sounded tight.  It sure got loud though.  Marty can't really hear how loud his amp is since it's down by his feet and projects outward to the conversation-challenged audients (love that Frippian term).  Well, I have no choice but to turn up as well ;>P

We had a special guest, Sheri Hofherr, come up and sing several songs.  Jealous Again might have been the best song of the night!  It was a big rock moment, and unless you're a deep cut Black Crowes fan, I'd have to say that's their best song.  So, yeah, she did a fine job and gave us a bit of a shot in the arm.  I don't really know what the purpose of her sitting in was all about.  There doesn't always have to be a reason.  Cliff refused to get up again to reprise his Crossroads from last time.  Too bad.  If we could pull out some ELO I bet he wouldn't hesitate!  MartaY and Brent kicked their usual collective butts!  We ended up playing P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) twice.  The dancing crowd in the second set wasn't there during the first set, so we felt obliged to share our big MJ moment with them as well.  All in all, it was a nice, big gathering with no drama - no dancing girls tripping over pedalboards, no screaming metalheads, no signals cutting out due to cable shorts...  Let's hope for next time!

By the way, my pictures were so much worse than normal that even I can't find anything worthwhile to put up here.  These dark stages are frustrating!  Guess I need to consider my posts a bit more carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment