Monday, June 13, 2011

Platinum/Platinum Soul at the Biltmore

Platinum was double booked, so to speak.  No big deal, really.  This has been handled a few times lately with the addition of the sleek & mobile Platinum Soul, spear headed by former Platinum co-frontperson Dianna Crawford.  Well, this night the 2 bands were interspersed in order to satisfy certain criteria & schedules.  I was with Virginia & Lexxi, along with Michael Ray, Michael Little, Scott Schuman, Anthony Baker, & Mace Hibbard.  We performed in the most-reverberent venue next to Fernbank known as the Biltmore Atlanta.  This was a tough gig since we had certainly all never played together before, which is not ideal for an 8 piece band.  I found it hard to relax!  I did my best to be the anchor & guide us through the repertoire.  I wonder how the other band fared over in Myrtle Beach.
Update here on June 30th.  Finally posting my pics from that night.  I am so into Tony Levin that I look at this as my version of TLev's "Road Photos" book from the 80's, or the King Crimson picture book "CRIMSON Chronicles" volume 1 the 80's.  I like to try to snap some "in the moment" shots while we're playing, meaning that I'm playing as well.  That most likely will be a section that I'll be tapping the bass line with just 1 hand, as opposed to plucking the string, as is the typical method of bass playing.  Then I need to take a good shot, almost exclusively with my Samsung (no hyperlink, but perhaps just as well) Intercept.  It isn't the fastest, but it may be the slowest, which is rather a different distinction.  The pics are most likely unpredictable, so that does lend an artsy edge to these snapshots.  Platinum is a very special band.  When the chemestry (9 folk including our reassurrring sound & lighting engineer David Junius) is on & we're performing, it is simply the best live band anybody could ask for at the moment.  We always strive to live up to that potential, at least.







No comments:

Post a Comment