Saturday, June 4, 2011

Achasta Country Club in Dahlonega

Sweetwater Junction had 2 gigs this weekend. I could only do the Friday
night one - a rehearsal dinner in the great hot outdoors from 6 till 10 up
in Dahlonega at a country club. We were set up near the bar so people
couldn't opt to get too far away from us. The father of the groom, who was
the host, was very nice and really seemed to like us. I played my NS WAV
for much of the night. If nothing else, I figured out how to hold it better
when wearing it with the strap attachment. If I loosen the strap a bit,
like almost halfway out, then I can hold it away from my left side enough to
see the neck better. It's going to take a while to figure out what will
ultimately be the optimum position. The 2 parts to the strap hook tended to
rotate, which would distract me enough. I will keep at it and report it. I
switched to the Stingray for the real dance portion of the night, when we
did a 1/2 hour medley mashup in E: Shakey Ground (with Sledgehammer during
guiar solo) --> I Wish --> Play That Funky Music (with Josie + Platinum
climb up during guitar solo) --> Tear the Roof Off the Sucker. Other
highlights were the jazz set of Just Friends, Bye Bye Blackbird, & Song for
My Father and then Ain't No Sunshine and Chris' fine vocal feature on Fly Me
To The Moon. Really, hands down, the best tune of the night was the last
one, a great powerful performance of Panic's All Time Low. The people ate
it up ~ we certainly ended on a high note and left them wanting more! The
food was very good: pulled pork bbq sandwiches with salad or slaw and twice
baked potato with sour cream, bacon, and scallions. And the best sweet tea
I've had in a long long time. We changed in the locker room where some of
the fellas opted for a quick shower. I didn't but it sure was hot out
there.

Here are those pics as promised.  Sound check was just wrong, with the sun beating down on our backs.
The gig itself went better, but my rig crapped out as it had so many times.  Walt said in so many words that the EUB was not appropriate on the electric set.  In several ways, he was very right.  Still, it was sort of fun to try to get through those tunes on it.  Nonetheless, we will curb the tendencies to go overboard in that direction.












 







No comments:

Post a Comment