Friday, April 1, 2011

My batteries were running low at Java Monkey


The Adrian Ash Group with Jason & Guy got together for another wine tasting evening at Java Monkey.  This time it was wines of Portugal and an evening of Modal Jazz.  Modal Jazz is a rather broad term and we were a little loose with the genre.  I thought it would have been good to simply play Kind of Blue ( yes, another wikipedia link, but it's so easy, isn't it?).  We did include "All Blues" in our set, and we ended up playing "So What" a few weeks ago.  We also played "Maiden Voyage", "Adam's Apple", "Hummin'" which is written by Nat Adderley & performed by Cannonball, & Freddie Hubbard's "Straight Life" in the Real Book key of Bb although the version I heard was in F (yet another Real Book un-realism).  I had submitted a bunch of late 60's Miles tunes from Bitches Brew & Filles de Kilimanjaro, along with Pinocchio & Steve Khan's version of Within You Without You, which I used to play with Ryan Strickland (this link takes you to his myspace site that he shares with fellow East Cobb bassist extraordiaire Charles Mishalaney - how's that?  a link to explain a link!).  At any rate, we didn't play any of my suggestions, but perhaps one day we'll do a Filles / Silent Way / Bitches Brew tribute night with extra guest musicians.  I like that stuff even if I barely understand all of the "B over C" type chords they're playing.

My big deal of the night was that my tone really sucked!  When I dug in for a solo, it got much worse!!  I came to the conclusion, after borrowing one of Guy's cables, was that my batteries were on the way out.  That meant a jog approximately 5 blocks up the road to the nearest CVS to buy 2 9-volts.  Thankfully, Adrian pointed me in the right direction (left on Ponce & then all the way past Clairmont to the next street where CVS would await me).  It was crowded with people buying large quantities of items - bummer.  When I left I ran back - unfortunately, I ran in the wrong direction and didn't realize it until the road took an unfamiliar twist.  Had to retrace and keep on running!  I was winded and the fellas were wondering what was wrong with me.  I changed my batteries and all was well for the 2nd set.  Yes!  Here are some pics, not really good ones but since Guy helped me he gets the mvp award for supplying a screwdriver and cable.

Fonk's ever-changing pedal board

The fire that lighted our hearts and warmed our buns on this frigid night.

Jason is all packed`up and ready to roll.

Fonk and his new Furman power conditioner with 15-ft. extension cord.  Sweet.

Wayne Shorter's "Pinocchio" - never got around to it.  I like the version that Bunny Brunel released on the cd "Dedication" (with Mike Stern, Billy Childs, & Vinnie Colaiuta.  Burnin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment