Friday, June 20, 2014

Wing & Rock Fest 2014: Sittin' in with Wild Honey, June the First



JT asked if I was available and yes I was.  Back to the scene of last year's Wing Fest in Woodstock, where Running With Desire and New Kid In Town both played back to back on my birthday.  This year, on my sister's birthday, I rocked hard with the same band that went on before RWD last year, Wild Honey.  They are a very strong band that does a good mix of classic rock and some new country.  JT was singing lead on many of the tunes.  They have a female singer as well, Jaymi Renae, who is quite talented and captivating.  Check out her website here: Jaymi Renae.  Guitarist Randy Sadd leads the band, along with Valgar (can't find any info on him - some people just do not do the online thing and I get that - too bad I forgot his full name) on lead guitar and Keith Huddleston, who absolutely pulverizes the drums.  It was a pleasure to lock in with Keith.  It was one of those gigs where we almost made no eye contact.  It was actually a little weird, but I wanted to be there in a way that he wouldn't have to think about the bass.  Anyways, I worked hard on the tunes, many I had never played before.  Made a couple of easy to read cheat sheets, a just went for it!  Tom Petty's tune Running Down a Dream is a breakneck rocker that has to be played with a pick.  I kept the momentum up throughout that long ride of 8th notes.  Whoa Nelly!  It was a great, warm day and everything worked out great.  Plus, Shane hooked us up with a major supply of wings, leftover from the wing eating contest.  Big fun all around!














No comments:

Post a Comment