Monday, June 9, 2014

Platinum at the Dillard House: A Feast and Then a Party



This Thursday night corporate party was a road trip that kept us jumping.  I partnered with Johnny to carpool and save a little on gas money.  We met around 2:30 on Jimmy Carter Blvd. to get up there in time to load in and grab supper.  Supper at the Dillard House is serious business: fried chicken, fried pork chops, stuffed peppers, butternut squash, mashed potatoes, fried okra, cucumber & tomato salad, green beans, sweet cornbread, sweet tea, I'm just getting started...  berries and cream for dessert.  I came hungry and left bloated.  I joked that we were striding in and waddling out - ha ha!  The DJ who played during our breaks and then karaoke after our show ate with us as well.

The party was in the conference center, located behind the main building where the restaurant is.  We had Cooper with us once again.  No horn on this one.  In fact, it was Dianna and Johnny on the front line with Virginia there but sitting on the side.  She was dealing with some personal news, but wanted to be there to field questions and concerns from the client.  I played some Stick for the first time in a while.  It goes really well on Gold Digger and some other hip-hop (Stick-hop!).  I had forgotten about my recent studio session where I had de-tuned it down a whole step.  It's still in match-reciprocal but now 1-10 are:

Bb
F
C
G
D
Bb
F
C
G
D

This way, the top notes on the guitar side are similar to the NS/Stick, which I think may make for easier transitions between the 2 instruments.  It's been a bit confusing - weird to have a string tuned to Bb to begin with.  Low Bb on the 6th string allows for a fretted low B of C, which is nice.  We'll see how it goes.








No comments:

Post a Comment