Monday, June 30, 2014

City Church Eastside at Stoveworks

Played an enjoyable church service in downtown ATL.  The bandleader is Jack Jirak, a young attorney who plays guitar and sings.  He trades off 1 Sunday per month and brings in his own band to perform.  Charley referred me for the gig.  Also in the band is drummer extraordinaire Emrah Kotan.  I played with Emrah years ago in Roswell with Ryan Strickland, among others.  We've kept in touch, but it's been many years since we've done anything musically together.  I'd like to think I've learned a few things since I've seen Emrah, but he's very advanced.  Anyways, we had a nice service.  Normally, there are others in the band - a lead guitarist, a keyboardist, and at least one backup singer.  This week we were a power trio, without the power I guess.  Rehearsal began at the wee time of 7:30 am.  It seemed a bit early to me, but I didn't know what to expect.  The songs were great, modern tunes.  I like the standard arrangement Jack opted for.  Typically, there are 4 verses.  The quiet verse is almost always the 3rd verse.  It gives the song a bit of an ebb and flow.

Jack Jirak
Emrah Ktan
Blog Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment