Monday, June 30, 2014

The Walt Austin Duo: Nada Duckets at Horseshoe Bend Country Club

Mark contacted me about a possible trio gig for Thursday the 19th.  I was able to make it work on my end, but regrettable, he wasn't.  The gig at that point morphed into a duo with Walt Austin.  I should have brought my upright, but I was wondering about the format.  I thought we were supposed to be more contemporary.  Oh, well.  It would have been nice to have had the doghouse.  I used my fretless, so I had a bit of that vibe at least.  We ended up playing a bunch of standards and such.  Folks seemed to like us enough, but we were background music to the max.  It was very cut and dry.  No food or drinks and our breaks were in a room up the hall.  Can't remember the last time I've played a duo gig.  It's been many years.  Walt really sounds great and holds his own on jazz piano.  Very melodic with some Herbie Hancock "across the barlines" playing.  He made it an easy and enjoyable night in Roswell.

I didn't take any pics until the last set, which found us with a thinned out crowd.  The place was booming with a happy hour vibe earlier.  Had them dancing into the night.





No comments:

Post a Comment