Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Saturday Night at The Biltmore: A Performance of Cruise With the Songwriter


Ah, the Biltmore.  So much reverb, so little time.  I brought my upright but the tone was just not happening.  I played it anyway.  My Jazz bass fared much better, in fact it sounded really good.  We had Brian Bartlett on guitar again, plus Mike Stone on occasional vocals.  Glen and Anton played a set of jazz during the cocktail hour.  The big news was that we performed the song Cruise with one of its songwriters Jesse Rice.  Jesse wrote it along with his brother Chase, Joey Moi, and the 2 guys who make up Florida Georgia Line.  Jesse sounded much like the singer on the version we all know.  We played it as well as we could, with Glen guiding us through all of the parallel vocal harmonies.  Johnny was able to get the rap, which I actually worked on 'cause I thought I might be able to do it if nobody else wanted it.  Nelly does it on the single.  Ha!  The song is only 4 chords over and over.  It's all about the hook.  We also played In My Life, which we've done before.  I usually end up singing it, but I let Brian sing it as he seemed eager to do it.  The wedding party absolutely had the best time ever.  We were bona fide rock stars for that final 2 hour stretch.  The audio may have been boomy, but that's the way the Biltmore crumbles.













No comments:

Post a Comment