Friday, February 4, 2011

Still Catching Up

Now that it's February, I'm still catching up with posts about January gigs.  Had one with Sweetwater Junction that took us all the way to Amelia Island for a coorporate food vendor party.  NFL playoffs were going on, so monitors were set up in the ballroom for the crowd to enjoy while they ate and drank.  They also listened to our instrumental music - no vocals on this gig.  It worked for the most part, although they wanted us so quiet they should've not even had a band.  That's okay, that's the way it is a lot.  We were out of our element somewhat and had to play actually quite a long time since the break was early and we were encouraged to play until the people left.  Well, who wants to leave free food and liquor?  The event went as long as it could have.  Then I made my way over to get some leftovers before everything was thrown out.  Sometimes band leaders don't think of these things like when does the band eat?  We loaded back up, actually I did a lot of the loading, then we headed back to Atlanta.  This was the night that poor Mark found his van with a flat tire.  This would be around 3:30 am.  I stayed with him as we wrestled with Walt's jack and put the spare on.  Always interesting how those spares are secured in the first place.  Well, that one went flat as he drove a few feet!  Uggh!  So he had some competing version of AAA and called them to tow his car up to the Acworth area mechanic who had worked on it last.  I drove him up the road and then back once he got that figured out so that he could meet with the towing company.  Good times indeed.  Finally got the check in the bank, since it was an agency who takes their time to pay us.  Also had a nice wedding reception with Platinum over yonder in Birmingham, AL.  The country club was at the top of a grand hill overlooking the neighboring terrain.  The crowd was nice and the people were there to have fun, but it wasn't exceptional.  It seemed to be a little sparse in numbers and many of the dancers were older, so they left before the end of the night and we played to the mighty core partiers.  My EUB did the trick for the first set.  I got up to sing Honky Tonk Women, leaving Glen to play the bass - go Glen!  He was having fun, I believe.  I did too, but I think I was better on NYE.  It was a tough drive home but I managed to stay awake and before I knew it I was crawling into bed.  Nice of V to call and check up on me as I was in the vicinity of 285.  That's all for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment