Friday, February 11, 2011

Playing Mingus & Originals in Decatur

I recently got a new pickup for my upright.  Yes, a chance to blog once again about my Fishman Full Circle.  I'm thinking of inverting it to get more bottom and fewer highs.  It seems too bright, but I may wait till I pick up the Pro EQ preamp that seems to go along with this pickup.  Well, I got it after playing my upright over in Decatur at Java Monkey for my every-other-week gig with Adrian Ash Group.  We are still more often than not consisting of Adrian on drums, Guy Fenocchi on guitar, and Jason Passmore on saxophone.  We recently held a Mingus tribute night where we played a few of his tunes for the lucky few who came to listen.  It's tough times out there in the winter on this patio.  If I were management, I would try a bit more to make it a comfortable and fashionable place to hang out there - ie space heaters!  I wish they could improve the decor as well.  The place is not living up to its potential, but then what do I know?  I want them to succeed.  They serve great wine (we play on the wine tasting nights), excellent hoppy beers (yum!), hearty sandwiches, delicious desserts, and bold coffee drinks!!  Well, Mingus night went well and I tried to convey some of his authoritative style, but I'm not half the strong player and leader that Charles Mingus was.  I love Peggy's Blue Skylight and would like to keep that one in a combo.  We also played a great Jump Monk but never got around to Porkpie Hat, which I thought was a bit odd.  The big news on this gig has been that my tune "All Hallows Leave" has been played two times now.  Very cool to have an original of mine getting played in public.  I still need to work on it some more.  I will so it will get a new reading this next time.  Actually, this Thursday we will be paying tribute to Monk, so mine may take a back seat.



These pics were "lifted" from Adrian's facebook site.  I didn't ask to use them but I know he is always up for any extra publicity.  These were actually taken in December when we played an evening of Christmas tunes, featuring Emile Worthy on vocals.  A real treat that I think was the highlight of the year for this group.

No comments:

Post a Comment