Saturday, May 12, 2012

Restringing My DeArmond Ashbory

Old strings, old strap.

When playing the Ashbory recently, I noticed a small nick in the A string.  I figured it might be time to restring it.  It's bad when you can't remember stringing the poor little fellow.  I can't.  It's been years now!  For no related reason, I was surfing around and went to the Large Sound web site, a fine home to the Ashbory for us U.S. bass citizens.  There I learned of an alternate make of strings for this puny axe: Aquila Thundergut Bass Strings.  These strings are white, versus opaque, and feel a bit more like weed whacker plastic.  They don't stretch in the crazy ways that the silicon rubber string do.  They seem a bit more challenging to install.  The E string gave me a couple of false starts, popping off at will.  I learned that after tying the knot and running it through the post, that the first winding should come above the knot, thus putting pressure on the string and holding it in place.  As the post turns it's first pass, drop the string down, as we want the strings to end up on the bottom of the post to ensure proper pressure against the nut.








New strings, new strap.


I haven't played it through an amp just yet.  My first thoughts are that they are a bit more difficult to voice.  The E string has always been the troubling one on this bass.  It seems to generate some unwanted extraneous vibrations along the neck as it's plucked.  However, the quality of the tone is much more pure.  It's less rubbery, which may or may not be a good thing.  That is the inherent characteristic of this bass, so we don't want to lose that.  Still, I'm liking these strings a whole lot and I'm happy with the results.  Perhaps an excursion tonight with this newly revamped friend will give me a better perspective.

Large Sound has even more info than i noticed last time out.  There is info on modifying it further than just relocating the strap buttons.  There is a schematic diagram useful for changing the LED to a blue one!  I'd like to try that!  Also, there is a mod to increase the output as well.  Must look into this as well.  Thanks to those who have donated their time and expertise!

No comments:

Post a Comment