Sunday, May 13, 2012

An Episodic Excursion Back at The Georgian Terrace

Somebody called it the Georgian Terrorist.  Hate to ever make a joke with that word but it made me smile for some reason.  I think it was because it reminded me of a similar joke years ago with The Occidental Grand Hotel being referred to as The Accidental Gland - a more safe renaming, certainly.  Anyways, Platinum was in the house.  Notable was Gus playing his first gig since his basketball injury last week - a torn ACL and more.  Also notable was Bryan Lopes (the best link I could find for Bryan) subbing on tenor sax, and he nailed it without the book!  What a true playa!

We did a happening version of Lonnie's Lament, Summertime, My Funny Valentine, and  a discofied house version of I Say a Little Prayer.  Virginia arranged for a sub to come in a sing 3 with us during soundcheck: At Last, Just Dance, & Don't Stop Believin'.  Interesting that we didn't play any of those during the night.  She did a great job on all three.  I knew the form for The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss) but it blew it on the gig, going to the III chord (D) after the 2nd chorus instead of the keyboard solo of ii I ii I.  Ugh!  That was my only real serious blunder of the night.  It hurt my pride though.  There were lots of little timing issues, and actually I think I started playing Superstition in E instead of Eb (! - okay, 2nd near-fatal blunder).  I tried to keep it together as best I could.  The bride, a very particular one from what I heard, ended up enjoying herself - what a nice surprise!  Many compliments, and one chap asked about my EUB.  Hard to convey what it is, but nice to know that someone appreciated something a bit different.  Helped Gus on the loadout (along with Glen and Derek) and fetched a huge centerpiece for Mother's Day.  Disappointed Binnie with my poor house cleaning.  Another brick in the wall...

Photo by Gus - holding my freshly re-strung Ashbory.
Sounded killer in sound check!
Glen - ready for anything!
Vocalist waiting in the wings to audition as a sub for V.
Bryan Lopes = Tenor Madness
ACL in the house!

Virginia and her vocal coach Kevin
Happy holding onto my long wood!

The ever-sexxi Lexxi!  Apologies for the limp resolution...

Bryan & Derek: playing a tune and getting in tune.

The front line works it!

Multiple crowd shots featuring the bride & groom...




No comments:

Post a Comment