Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Marietta Country Club, Fashionably Located in Kennesaw

Our green room was the employee break room near the loading dock, so that explains the heat and the flies.  A lot of flies, even with a bug zapper tacked on the wall just above where I dined.  The food was decent: a hot meal of country-fried chicken, orange roughy with pesto sauce, rosemary potato wedges, and garden salad.  Many of us were late to soundcheck.  Myself included, but not as late as others.  We had to go over the groom's song: You've Made Me So Very Happy, the old Blood, Sweat & Tears feel good tune.  He sang it rather well, considering he's a doctor.  A very musical oriented family, it appeared.

We went over You Sexy Thing, but didn't get around to it.  They did dance to Santana's Smooth, so that was a good choice.  Nice version of Lexxi's arrangement of My Funny Valentine.  I butchered The Shoop Shoop Song, as redone by Cher.  I was playing root fifth root fifth over a Cm chord, but it was really ii V ii V in the key of Bb.  I had even practiced it the night before in the parking lot of North Atlanta Church of Christ while waiting for Jack to complete his Kaikudo Karate Klass.  Poor Glen, he gives me some evil looks, I sure hope he keeps giving me another chance.  He did refer to my BS&T chart, so maybe that will help me out if he seriously considers a change.

I found the deep switch on my amp and it really beefed up my tone while keeping it clear.  I've never used it but once I engaged it, I didn't want to go without.  Kinda like the loudness button on your stereo, if you remember those things.  It was a hot one, 90 degrees or so this weekend.  Summer has descended on Georgia, whether it's still May or not.  Sledgehammer went well, but it was more fun on Thursday.  Love playing that with the octave down effect,  WWTLevD?  Maybe I'll try it on the fretless at some point, but I think the Stingray tone is more critical.  Our last song of the night was Jenny Jenny (867-5309), as the party just drifted away to the bar area.  I was ready to try Last Dance without my chord chart.  Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment