Friday, September 30, 2011

Catching up from last Sunday & another Java Monkey session

Once again, I had the honour of filling in for Charley at Mount Bethel United Methodist Church in Marietta, perhaps almost 2 miles from my front door to the stage.  A very nice gig to have.  The main bit of detail on this one would be that i once again needed to change my batteries (2 9V) in my Ibenez 6-string.  I've found that I need to have a 5 or 6 at a church service.  It's become standard to have that extended range.  Charts get tranposed, usually down in pitch.  Plus, more often than not, a gentleman is over there on the big pipe organ and he's kicking the big bottom.  Hard to compete with that if I'm playing up an octave!  So I noticed during rehearsal that my bass had suddenly lost mucho volume after unplugging and re-plugging back in (to tuck my cable through the strap since we were standing to read the chart at the piano).  After fiddling with every pot available and trying a different channel in the PA, I knew what was up.  I had a tweaker in my car and there were some batteries available in the rehearsal room - thank you MBUMC!!!  It was a sprint outside and then a quick as can be switch out.  I had a roll of gaffer tape in my car also.  The batteries need to be wrapped in tape to shield them - not sure why but the cavity is not too sophisticated to include a nice compartment to house the dual 9 Volt jobbers.  After all of that, the bass was back in business.  Must remember to change those out when the smoke detector batteries get changed!  The service went well and I felt better than last time.  The new drummer Kenny Reagor (Kevin's twin brother - Kevin played in Limelight) was on the new V-drum kit.  The stage volume was much improved over the past.  There was an electric guitarist, running direct through a new iPod floor unit, who led us through the rockin' opening number.  Unfortunately, he wasn't there for the beginning of the 2nd service, so we missed his headstock "conducting" sweeps that time around.  No DBF, as Yacht Rock was on the road somewhere.

I was more awake than usual, since I didn't gig the night before.  I guess with the battery issue looming in my head, I forgot to take any pictures.  It's not the same without something to post showing you what I saw.  Next time...

Java Monkey was more of the same.  We played some of the covers that we brought in last time, and few other things that kicked my booty a bit - Guy's Blues Decent is one that I've started to dread playing through.   We were joined by our trumpet toting friend Sidney Cox who has been known to busk away on a nearby street corner for ample tips.  He sat in with us on a couple, including his request of Mercy Mercy Mercy.  He carried the beloved tip jar around for suggestive donations - a cool move indeed.  We allowed him to share in the spoils before he departed for his gig.  Sounded great and nice hits along with JP!

Sidney Cox - always welcome as a special guest!







I used the 6'er again as I was in a hurry loading out and it just seemed like the right one for the night.  I try to mix it up between upright, EUB, & the 6, maybe the Jazz once in a while.  Sounded good, not great.  Not sure why.  If I practiced more, that sure could be a plus!  All photos below are from Adrian's collection.  His camera seems to be a better one, doesn't it?




No comments:

Post a Comment