Saturday, January 11, 2014

Ryan Strickland Trio in Roswell

Had a fun jazz gig with an old comrade Ryan Strickland.  Ryan is an amazing guitarist who I can safely say is a gifted jazz improviser and a master chord guru.  He plays voicings that a so musical and hip.  You know, a Cm7 can sound a bit run of the mill after a while, but not in Ryan's hands.  He knows all of those open and drop 2 voicings; McCoy Tyner would be jealous.  As I recall, he gets a lot of inspiration of Steve Khan, another master of chord voicings.  At any rate, I used to play with Ryan at a few places in Roswell.

Alpine Bakery and Trattoria

We played a whole mess of standards.  I used my ol' upright, plugged into my GK 110 combo and this time I had my nouveau upright pedalboard in tow.  Caught some heiness feedback once.  The eq is tricky.  Thinking i really need a 10-band eq to do this better.  Actually I really need a 31-band just to be certain, but that doesn't fit on a pedalboard so easily.  I think that is the key to good, loud upright tone, or certainly a critical element; cut out the violating frequency with a notch-like swype, leaving all neighboring frequencies intact.

This time I think it's true - no pictures to post from this gig.  Sad, since I don't see Ryan too often.  We had a nice gig, but my playing was a bit sterile.  Some upright gigs I do, I'm inspired beyond belief.  Come to think of it, those were with the Flycats.  Reece and Big Lou are very complimentary and inspiring, yes.  Ryan is inspiring, but if I'm in a zone where I'm so self-conscious, well, we are all our worst enemies in that regard.  I've felt better, but we had some good grooves.  I do tend to land on the root a lot when I'm walking, but it sounds funny if I go the 3rd or the 5th.  Those bass players are crafty.  I don't remember a lot being said after the fact, which isn't always a good thing.  Hope to play with the young cat again.

We all got deluxe yummy to-go meals of chicken and pasta.  Excellent food at the Alpine Bakery and Trattoria.  I enjoyed it on my drive home - it didn't stand a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment