Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Winnona Riders Play the Fall Picnic: Great Times at Winnona Park Fall Picnic Sept 22, 2013

The Winnona Riders: L to R - Rick Lubrant (guitar, vocals), Bo Emerson (trumpet, vocals), Jonny Hibbert (saxophone), Adrian Ash (drums, various other non-living organisms),
Gerald Simmons Craig (percussion, vocals), John Hancotte, (bass) & Gary Clements (guitar, vocals).
This and almost all of the other pics courtesy of premier photographer Andi Larner and her Facebook posting.
Thank you Andi!














After a long ride in the Suburban from Florida, I got home and then headed back out with some different toys to Winnona Park in Decatur, about 40 minutes or so from my house.  Crazy indeed. A lot of pictures and a whole lot of fun.  This was a true pick-up band assembled from a couple of different groups.  Adrian rang me up to have a go at it.  Interesting to play some upright over some light rock oldies and then some old R&B stuff on electric.  No rehearsal but a set list was provided.  I even worked on some of the tunes.  Fun to play some of these old funky chestnuts, like Dixie Chicken and Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley.  Gerald looked familiar, as did Bo, but I really just met everybody that afternoon for the first time.  I was dog tired from the trip and my family wasn't too happy with me turning around and leaving again.  It was a paying gig and I was grateful for the job.  Plus, we were allowed to eat some seriously good barbecue.  I hope we can do it again some time.


 
 




























I took some pics, but they weren't worth much.  This one below of the group from my perspective as we were getting warmed up was nice.  I also took the one above of Rick (bearded guitarist) that I was able to edit into a worthy document.  All of Andi's pics were edited in one way or another.  The horns sounded great.  Bo & Jonny made a nice section.  Bo sang really well too.  Adrian keeps sounding stronger every time I play with him.  He must have some very focused practice sessions in his basement.  Solid!

No comments:

Post a Comment