Sunday, October 13, 2013

Confabulation Reprise ~ September Edition: Brett Warren Band at Java Monkey!


Confabulation Reprise - I couldn't have said it better.  It was a high-level far-reaching outa-space bitches-brew kind of patchwork of hip jam band and intricate fusion aspirations, and a reprise at that.  My aspirations to perform in this kind of capacity were certainly satisfied with Brett's high level of talent and enthusiasm.  This is a tough list of shed-worthy tunes that separate the men from the boys.  Fun stuff to listen to and even dance to if you're so inclined.  The crowd at Java Monkey ate it up.  I really enjoyed what we did succeed in.  I joined with Brett Warren (guitar, vocals) and Adrian Ash (drums, etc.) for a trio set of funky covers and bluesy outsideness.  We opened with a nice little blues tune, and then played Stellar Rays (Jonas Hellborg & Shawn Lane), Scapegoat Blues (Jimmy Herring - I made a very helpful chart but didn't bring it, it could have been better), Testify (The Lee Boys), Peaches en Regalia (Frank Zappa), Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing (Stevie Wonder), and One Strut, another Jimmy Herring tune from his first album that we were able to run down thanks to an easy-to-follow chord chart that Brett provided.  I felt I redeemed myself on the Stevie tune.  We played it in the original key of Ebm and Brett sang it like it was made for him.  Cool to do a song that is piano-based with a guitar and make it work this well.  Testify was locked in, even if my solo was not on par with Oteil's from the youtube video.  The next time I play with these guys, I have a few ideas for this vamp.  My Ibenez 6-string sounded decent, at least.  Yes, I still boil my strings and I made my soup the night before.

Brett Warren tearing it up
Adrian Ash playing the pretty notes
The horns settling in
It got more serious when the horn players showed up.  Dr. Tom Gibson (trombone), Paul Garrett (trumpet), Jason Passmore (tenor sax), and Kevin Lyons (trumpet).  These guys, billed as the Horny Horns, came to play and strut their chops.  They injected some good-natured shenanigans that lifted my spirits and brought a party atmosphere to the Java Monkey patio.  We blazed through "N'Awlinz"-infused grooves including Herbie Hancock's Cantaloupe Island, Cannonball Adderley's Mercy Mercy Mercy, Tower of Power's What Is Hip?  and Squib Cakes, The Meters' Look Ka Py Py, Here Come The Mummies' Pants (what a catchy tune, rife with copious lines of over-the-top double entrendres to keep one snickering while marveling at the skilled arrangement and performance),  and Fishbone's feel-good mega-hit Everyday Sunshine.  I think we threw in Stevie Wonder's Superstition near the end.  It was a great jam with some ripping solos.  I have to say that as good as they all were, Jason may have stole the show.  It could figure as he was with Adrian and myself here at the Monkey for so many sessions - he understands how to step up and not waste a precious moment.  Paul turned a lot of heads as well.  Great to hear some fine yet dangerous trumpet playing over our grooves.  Kevin slayed us on the TOP double shot.  He's a serious technician.  Tom made the trombone look like a toy in his skilled hands.  He effortlessly sent out cascades of bop lines out into the streets of downtown Decatur.

Great compliments inside from the staff and patrons on What Is Hip? - among my favorite Rocco Prestia bass lines.  Hey, check out a pic I took at the recent Atlanta appearance of Tower of Power with Cheech and Chong & WAR at Chastain Park - we were right up front (Doc on bari sax is the man)!


A number of folks just stopped in their tracks on their way to frozen yogurt or a late night sandwich down the block.  Speaking of stopping in their tracks, we were all quite watchful as a "garden spider" ascended and descended repeatedly to the music more or less in front of me and above my head.  It never got too close, but we made certain to know his whereabouts.  I think was our good friend Phil McKenna who pointed it out.  Didn't see it earlier in the night - now that could have led to one serious confabulation!

Phil McKenna, Jason Passmore, Paul Garrett, & Joel Brett Warren
Kevin Lyons shoulders his weapon
Cuttin' up after the curfew shut us down
Java Monkey has the best noshes to go with it's serious coffee and libations.
Spider of Destiny

No comments:

Post a Comment